Job roles: Network technician, Network engineer, Systems engineer, Network administrator
Network engineers design, install, maintain and support communication networks within an organisation or between organisations. They understand network configuration, cloud, network administration and monitoring tools, and are able to give technical advice and guidance.
As a network engineering apprentice, you will become competent in the following areas:
- Designing simple networks from a well-defined specification and applying appropriate security products and processes
- Installing and configuring network components, including switches, routers and firewalls
- Optimising the performance of network systems and services
- Monitoring network systems and performance to meet accepted standards using diagnostic tools, analysers and other equipment
- Identifying the causes of network performance issues, troubleshooting and repairing faults in hardware, software products and the network
- Undertake system upgrades
- Integrating network-related software into an existing network environment.
You will also learn to interpret written requirements and technical specifications for network activities and maintain accurate records of network maintenance activities, carrying out all tasks in accordance with agreed procedures.
You will need to have a flexible attitude to your work and the ability to perform under pressure, with a commitment to quality. A passion for IT is important but so is an ability to think logically and take a creative approach to problem solving.
Most employers will require you to have A-levels, a Level 3 apprenticeship or other relevant qualifications and experience and/or to have completed aptitude tests with a focus on functional maths.
After completing the apprenticeship you will be eligible for entry onto the register of IT technicians confirming SFIA Level 3 professional competence.
The full apprenticeship standard is available at www.gov.uk/government/publications/apprenticeship-...
Qualification: Level 4 (Higher Apprenticeship)
Salary: not available